How to Petition for your Certificate or Degree

Details about petitioning

  • Graduation only happens once a year, in May. If you complete in December, you can walk the following May if you want.
  • Petitions are due on specific dates. File your petition in the semester that you will complete all the requirements.  Academic calendars are published here each semester, and include the last day to file for your petitions. If you randomly complete a form in the middle of a semester, it may not get processed.
  • The Certificate will be issued in your name as it appears in the Peralta system. If you want to have a different name listed on the Certificate, you must submit a name change with Admissions and Records before filing your petition.
  • For non-credit certificates (Community Health Worker and Work Readiness), students complete the online form (links below) and it is submitted electronically.
  • Certificates are available for pick-up at the Admissions and Records Desk approximately 12 weeks after the filing date. 
  • To have a certificate mailed to you, send an email request to and attach a copy of your picture ID.  Include the full address for mailing, and your student ID number.
  • Need help? Send an email to

Credit-bearing Certificate Petition: AA-T Social Work and Peer Support Specialist Certificate

For the credit-bearing AA-T in Social Work and the credit-bearing Peer Support Specialist Certificate, schedule an appointment with counseling to process the petition.

Non-credit Certificate Petition Forms

Community Health Worker Certificate | Based on your LAST NAME:

Social Work and Human Services Work Readiness Certificate (Mental Health Ambassador) | Based on your LAST NAME: