For students who only require extra time and/or a distraction-reduced environment, we ask that instructors provide the extra time by changing the student’s individual CANVAS settings to increased time. Students are advised to contact their instructors in advance of a test, reminding the instructor of their accommodated testing time and any other modifications (i.e., short breaks during testing). The student may “cc” our testing email, SAS.BCC.email@example.com, so we may remind the instructor of the accommodation, and provide the letter of accommodation, if necessary. If a student requires more extensive assistance such as typing or scribing answer or reading aloud test questions, arrangements can be made for a scribe.
As with asynchronous classes, students should contact their instructors in advance of an exam, and copy SAS.BCC@peralta.edu. SAS staff will verify the accommodation time and any other testing modifications.
Since the student has extra time on for the exam, please consider the following options:
- Let the student sign into Canvas and begin testing earlier than the rest of the class. The start time should reflect the additional testing time.
- Let the student remain in Canvas when the class is over. The stop time should reflect the additional testing time.
- If an instructor is notified by a student who has tests in consecutive synchronous classes, please consider changing the start time so the student can successfully complete both tests. If the rescheduled time is the same day, allow time for a break between exams, or divide the exam in two parts on separate days. If the student is not taking the exam at the same time of the class and you are concerned about test integrity, please consider giving the SAS student an alternate version of your test.
Please avoid “moving” a student from one digital platform to another during a test.
Again, if a student requires more extensive assistance such as typing or scribing answer or reading aloud test questions, arrangements can be made for a scribe.
- Students schedule tests at least one week in advance by filling out this form: https://forms.office.com/r/HEqnmvpaH9
- SAS sends a confirmation email during normal business hours confirming that the test has been scheduled.
- SAS will contact the instructor for the exam, rules, and duration.
- For Canvas tests taken in the classroom, SAS will notify the instructor of the extended time allotted and the time the student intends to start the exam. The instructor will need to modify the time in Canvas prior to the start of the exam.
If the student can’t take the test at the scheduled time, Instructor approval must be received to take a test at a different date or time.
Instructors may administer an accommodated test themselves; it is not mandatory that a SAS student take a test with SAS.
Please do not move a student to a different location once they have started testing.
If a student presents a letter of accommodation a few hours prior to the test, please honor a request to change the testing time. If you have a question regarding this, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or room 261.