Transform Your Life!
The Society of Scholars can help ensure your college success!
Berkeley City College (BCC) is a premier diverse, student-centered Society of Scholars dedicated to academic excellence, collaboration, innovation and transformation. BCC’s Society of Scholars support the college mission by fostering collaboration with faculty to promote student success and empowering students both in and outside of the classroom. Society of Scholars offer essential support for students to ensure a smooth transition to college.
BCC’s Society of Scholars are cohort-based, meaning students take classes with the same group of students and move forward together to reach their educational goals. This enables students to have a support system within their peers, building relationships and connections with one another as they help each other succeed. This peer support is in addition to the support they also receive from BCC’s dedicated instructors and counselors who provide valuable support services such as individual counseling, tutoring, mentoring, and educational planning — all to ensure a successful transfer to jobs and/or a four-year university.
Society of Scholars Benefits
- Free books for core classes
- 2 years of free tuition
- CSU/UC application workshops
- Grant at the end of your first year
- Collaborative learning in the classroom; supportive community of peers, instructors, and counselors
- Embedded library and tutor support
- Access to Society of Scholars counselors
- Creation of a comprehensive student education plan (SEP) for transfer
- Priority registration
- Field trips, guest speakers, interactive learning environment, and much more
Society of Scholars and Equity Model: Six Student Success Factors
- Directed: students have a goal and know how to achieve it
- Focused: students stay on track—keeping their eyes on the prize
- Nurtured: students feel somebody wants to help them to succeed
- Engaged: students actively participate in class and extracurricular activities
- Connected: students feel like they are part of the college community
- Valued: students’ skills, talents, abilities and experiences are recognized; they have opportunities to contribute on campus and feel their contributions are appreciated.
BCC offers several Programs including:
The mission of IGNITE Scholars is to help you, a first-time college student, obtain an associate degree in two to three years and direct you to the right classes to transfer to a four-year college or university and possibly earn and AAT/AST degree. This innovative cohort program provides intensive support and early planning to help you succeed in college.
The Puente Project is a transfer support program designed to increase the number of educationally underrepresented students. Puente means “bridge” in Spanish. As the name suggests, we help students build bridges to higher education.
Provides an African-American learning experience for African-American students and others who would benefit from and appreciate learning from the African Diaspora viewpoint.
Society of Scholars Counselors
Interested in learning more?
Please complete the Society of Scholars Interest Form and a Society of Scholars representative will contact you.