Federal Work Study (FWS) job is a federal financial assistance program that enables eligible students to work on or off campus. To learn more about FWS, watch the Financial Aid TV video or read the Federal Work-Study Handbook. The award is based on the student’s financial need, and on the availability of funds. In order to be employed under this program, a student must have first applied for, been offered, and accepted a financial aid award, which includes Federal Work Study. Please contact our office if you have been awarded or interested in Federal Work Study (FWS) for jobs availability. Student workers must meet financial aid requirements as well as any department job requirements. Students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week when school is in session and up to 40 hours when school is not in session. FWS funds are limited and are awarded on a first come first serve basis. The FWS award will be canceled if you do not arrive for placement within 14 working days of the date on the award letter.
Financial Aid Specialist
FWS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
To be considered for FWS, interested students must meet all of the following qualifications:
- Have a valid Social Security Number.
- Have a need for financial aid as demonstrated by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Be enrolled in at least half time (6 units) and at least one class at Berkeley City College each semester.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress at least a 2.0 GPA.
If you drop below 6 units or withdraw from school, you must stop working and report to the Financial Aid Office immediately.
- A student is entitled to a paid 15-minute break after a 4-hour consecutive work period.
- A student is entitled to a meal period of not less than 30 minutes within a daily work period of five or more hours, except when a work period of not more than six hours will complete the day’s work. In that case, the meal period may be waived by the mutual consent of the supervisor and the student assistant. Meal periods are not paid time.
- Students must submit all necessary paperwork for their employment prior to commencing work.
- Students must conduct themselves as responsible workers and are prohibited from specific actions listed in the FA Handbook.
- Students must report to work on time.
- Students must notify (as soon as possible) their supervisor if they are going to be late or unable to work.
- Students are not to conduct personal business on the job.
- Students must adhere to the confidentially of the job and department.
- Students must refer to individuals and/or situations that are beyond their job scope and responsibility to their supervisor.
- Students may not work at times when their classes are in session. If a student’s class gets canceled and the student wants to work during that time period, the student must provide evidence that their class got canceled by their supervisor.
- Students must report hours accurately on their monthly time sheets.
- Students must report all earned hours and submit their timesheets immediately if students are no longer working.
- Students must submit all time sheets on time, or their paychecks may be held for an additional payroll period.
On and Off Campus Information
Below is the list of all the departments and locations where Federal Work-Study students have worked in the past. However, there may be more options than the ones listed below. Please check with the financial aid office for availability.
Alternate Media Technology Office
Audio Media Office
Curriculum, Student Learning Outcome, & Assessment Office
Financial Aid Office
Learning Resource Center / Tutoring
Undocumented Community Resource Center
Berkeley Public Library
Cal Sailing Club, Berkeley
Multicultural Institute, Richmond
YMCA-PG&E Teen Center, Berkeley