General FAQs (7)

What grades are covered by VA Payments?

The VA pays for all the following grades: “A”, “B”, “C”, “D”, “F”, and “P”. Grades not covered for VA payment are “NC”, “NP”, and “Audit” (U).

If you receive an Incomplete (“I” ) grade, and the “I” grade is not converted to a letter grade within one year from the last day of the term it was received in, your VA payment will be retroactively reduced back to the first day of the term it was received. You may not re-register for a course you received an “I” grade in for payment (unless a full year has gone by and the VA has already reduced your benefit payment). You must complete an “I” grade on your own.

What happens if I fail to pass my courses?

The VA is notified if a student is not meeting satisfactory academic progress standards.

What should I do if I change my schedule, drop, add and/or withdraw from my course?

All schedule changes need to be reported to the VA School Certifying Official when your registration is changed. BCC allows you to drop classes before the end of week 1 or prior to drop date and receive a full refund. You can drop your courses this week or earlier and the college will give you a refund. VA benefits will be reduced or eliminated depending on your certification. Communicate with the VA School Certifying Official if you change your schedule. Keep in mind that notify your VA School Certifying Official any later may result in an over payment.

What happens if I drop my courses after the drop period?

The VA allows you to withdraw up to 6-credits lifetime with no penalty after the 1st week of the term. Benefits are paid for the dropped course up until the date it is dropped. Outside of this lifetime
6-credit exclusion, unless mitigating circumstances are submitted by you and accepted by the VA, any reduction in credit load will result in a reduction of your benefits and you may be responsible for paying the VA for the cost of the course (CH 33 students). Students are advised to contact the VA directly before dropping a course to ask specific questions of how their benefits will be impacted.

What happens if I drop below a 2.0 gpa or receive an academic hold?

The VA requires that veterans or dependents using VA education benefits to maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher. Generally speaking, if a student veteran falls below a 2.0 GPA at BCC will have a HOLD on their account and will not able to register for the following semester and are REQUIRED to sign a document with their Veterans Academic Counselor, referred to as a “Re-instatement from Academic Probation or Dismissal” in order to be recertified for the following academic semester. Failure to complete/comply with the agreement will result in denial of certification.

Ch 35 – DEA vs Fry Scholarship

Feathures CH 35 – DEA FRY Scholarship
Benefit Payments Monthly payment made directly to the student, with the current amount for full-time training is $1,298. Tuition and fee payments are paid to school. Full in-state tuition costs covered for training pursued at public institutions. The annual limit for private institutions is $26,042.81
A books and supplies stipend is paid to the student, up to $1,000 a year, with the payments proportionately per term.
A monthly housing allowance is paid to students as a monthly stipend based on the local basic allowance for housing (BAH) rate for E-5 with dependents.
Duration of Benefits Surviving spouses of those who died in the line of duty may use benefits for up to 20 years from the service member’s date of death or 10 years from the date the VA determines they qualify or from the member’s date of death, although there are exceptions. Spouses who became eligible after Jan. 1, 2013 have no time limit to use the benefit, but lose it if they remarry.
A child may use benefits between ages 18 and 26, although there are exceptions A child who became eligible before Jan. 1, 2013, qualifies when they turn 18 years old, and can use benefits until they turn 33 years old.
A child who becomes eligible on or after Jan. 1, 2013, has no time limit to use benefits.
Maximum Months of Benefits 45 months if the first use of benefits was before Aug. 1, 2018;
36 months if the first use of benefits was after Aug. 1, 2018
36 months
Concurrent Receipt of DIC and Education Benefit for Spouse Yes Yes
Programs Covered College, business, technical and vocational programs; certification tests; apprenticeships and on-the-job training; and tutorial assistance and work-study College, business, technical and vocational programs; certification tests; apprenticeships and on-the-job training; vocational flight training; and tutorial assistance and work-study

How will the VA handle courses by grade and withdrawals?

Grade VA actions
A, B or C VA will consider the course as completed and will award per the duration of the courses
D or F VA will consider the course as completed and will award per the duration of the courses. Do keep in mind that their are limitations on how many times a course can be certified
W – Withdrawal without mitigating circumtances VA will request payment based on the Rate of Pursuit difference from the start of the Term (i.e, dropping from 100% – 12 units to 75% – 11-9 units will require 25% of MHA/BAH payments to be returned)
W – Withdrawal with mitigating circumstances VA will allow the student to keep their Benefits from when the student had received a Withdrawal
I – Incomplete VA will require reporting, student will not need to return payments once grade has been changed to a Punitive Grade (A, B, C, D or F), however if the course is later change to a W, then student will need to return payments based on whether with/without mitigating circumstances


How much tuition and fees does the VRRAP cover?

VRRAP covers maximum tuition and fees up to the national cap, for the 2021-2022 academic year $26042.81, regardless if they are out of state tuition and fees.

Can I take online courses under VRRAP?

Student may take on line training under VRRAP as long as the facility is approved for distance learning. If the facility is approved, students may take both in class and online courses for the same enrollment period. ***Please note if your students are taking online courses under the COVID provisions, they will be required to return to in person training in June when the provision expires.

What programs does the VRRAP cover?

VRRAP only covers Associate or NCD certificate degrees. Also, VRRAP only covers payment for one program at one facility. There are no Bachelors/Master programs approved under VRRAP.

Am I eligible for VRRAP if I find a job prior or upon starting the program?

Students cannot be employed on the date of their application for VRRAP benefits. However, should a student obtain employment AFTER they begin training under VRRAP it is acceptable and they may continue under VRRAP. The facility will not receive their final 25% tution and fees payment until after the student graduates/completes their program of training.

Can I take courses at other campuses?

VRRAP will only pay courses at the campus that the program takes place and will not account credits taken at other campuses.

Can I take Full On-line courses under VRRAP?

If you are pursuing training through distance or online learning only and training at the more than half time rate, the MHA will be paid at the rate of one-half of the national average ($1,802.00 / 2 = $901) of the military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents.