POP: Peer Observation Pool
POP Dates for this semester:
Kick-off Sessions in the TLC, room 341
(Please drop in to one):
- Tue Feb 10 11:00 – 1:30
- Wed Feb 11 4:00 – 5:30
- Thu Feb 12 1:30 – 2:30
Wrap-up Sessions in the TLC, room 341
(Please plan to attend one or more):
- Mon Apr 13 5:00 – 6:00
- Tues Apr 14 12:15 – 1:15
- Wed Apr 15 12:15-1:15
“I have met more teachers here at BCC through the POP program than I have in several years of teaching here!”
“As a part-time, new, evening instructor it is a little hard to feel part of the school or that I have much to offer to other instructors. POP was wonderful in giving me a way to be involved in the school, meet people, see different students, and get a better sense of the mission of BCC and everything that goes on here.”
“I was able to get a sense of new things I can try in the classroom, and also a sense of some class room management strategies that seem successful for the teachers I observed.”
“The POP culture should spread at BCC and become a celebration of what it is to be part of a learning community.”
What is the POP?
The POP is a structure for faculty to learn from each other by spending time in colleagues’ classrooms. It is not related in any way to faculty evaluation.
What are the goals of the POP?
- Increase culture of collaboration within and across disciplines
- Increase understanding of student and teacher experiences and challenges beyond our own courses
- Share effective practices
- Spark future inquiry and implementation within and across disciplines
What are the required activities for POP members?
- Participate in the POP Kickoff toward the beginning of the semester to meet each other, form community agreements, discuss teaching contexts, and exchange logistics.
- Observe 3 other classes for at least 30 minutes each, at least one outside of your discipline.
- Welcome other POP members into your classroom.
- Participate in the POP Wrap-up toward the end of the semester, where members will reflect, share, and have the opportunity to connect for future projects.
- Complete an evaluation (of the program, not other faculty).
- I did the POP before – can I do it again? YES!
- I teach a lab class/evenings/online/in the Annex etc. – can I do it? YES! We are all part of BCC.
- I don’t have time to pop in this semester– can I open my door to POP members anyway? YES! Please email email@example.com – no need to attend meetings.
- Is this a paid activity? There are small stipends ($150) available, paid in May, with priority for part-time instructors and new members. All are welcome and encouraged to participate, regardless.
- How much time will the POP take all together? 2 meetings + 3 or more observations + any amount of reflection/communication = 4+ hours, flexible for your busy schedule.
- Other questions? Email Gabe Winer at firstname.lastname@example.org