What are student responses to proposed changes in our ESL program curriculum?
- Will not add a unit to ESL writing classes. While immigrant students supported the proposed increase in units in writing classes, international students were strongly against such a change;
- Since ESL students often take (and benefit from) courses throughout the disciplines, the ESL department should exercise caution before adding units to ESL courses;
- Consider offering 4-unit grammar and speaking courses (rather than 5 unit courses);
- Offer a variety of 2-unit elective courses that focus on specific topics;
- When possible, course offerings should reflect the needs of the ESL student population, which may mean using a different approach than other ESL departments in PCCD.
Filed under: Final Reports