The Fresh Air Art Contest is brought to you by Artists Resisting Tobacco (A.R.T.). Download the Art Contest Entry Form
Create anti-tobacco art AND communicate a no-smoking policy to the public! ART WILL BE MADE INTO POSTERS AND PUT UP AT A PERALTA CAMPUS. Entries must be a visual art piece (drawing, photography, ceramics, multi-media, etc.) and have anti tobacco messages to publicize that students can be fined more than $40.00 for smoking at the Peralta campuses this year. It should also include an anti-tobacco message such as how the tobacco industry targets youth, the health hazards of secondhand smoke or E-cigarette vapor, or how the industry targets African-Americans to smoke menthols, which are more addictive to people with darker skin.
*Note* – Art pieces that do NOT contain this info will NOT be considered for judging.
1ST PLACE PRIZE IS $100!
2ND PLACE PRIZE IS $50!
3RD PLACE PRIZE IS $25!
We’ll have an awards ceremony at BCC on Thursday April 23rd, at 12:15pm. The top 3 winning pieces will be made into signage and put up all around the Peralta campuses.
DEADLINE: MONDAY APRIL 20TH, 2015 at 2pm, Jasmine Martinez’ office (room 241) 2nd floor, BCC VPSS OR Burt Dragin’s office (G233) at Laney College with the signed entry form.
- SOME FACTS TO THINK ABOUT:
- UNDER STATE LAW (AB795), CAMPUS SECURITY CAN FINE SMOKERS.
- NICOTINE IS MORE ADDICTIVE THAN COCAINE OR ALCOHOL.
- E-CIGARETTE VAPOR CONTAINS CANCER CAUSING CHEMICALS AND OTHER TOXIC CHEMICALS AND PARTICLES.
- SECONDHAND SMOKE CAUSES BREAST CANCER, ASTHMA, AND SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME (SIDS)
- MENTHOL INCREASES THE ADDICTION TO NICOTINE FOR THOSE WITH DARKER SKIN. MENTHOL SMOKERS HAVE A HARDER TIME QUITTING.
The art contest is a component of the Artists Resisting Tobacco (A.R.T.) project, which is funded by Alameda County Health Care Services Agency, Public Health Dept. Tobacco Master Settlement Funds and California Tobacco Control Program. For more information, contact Pauline Bondonno, A.R.T. Project Director, (510) 526-8736, or email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org