Banner Image: Scenes from around campus

Counseling Home

How do I see a Counselor at Berkeley City College?

Berkeley City College offers a wide range of professional counseling services for prospective and enrolled students. Services include providing academic, career, and personal counseling and referrals to other on-campus services. Students are encouraged to consult with counselors early in the educational process to plan their program of study. To get the best of your time with a counselor, please schedule an appointment. Please refer the list of services outlined below:

New for Summer 2017: Counseling Quick Stop on 1st floor.  Get answers to your quick questions and get advice.  A counselor can also refer you to other services or appointment to assist you.


Counseling hours for the Summer Semester 2017:

Monday:         8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Tuesday:        8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Wednesday:   8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Thursday:       8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Friday:           Quick Stop 1st Floor

Saturday:      CLOSED

Sunday:        CLOSED

Due to peak registration demand during the Summer, Fall, and Spring registration periods, please call (510) 981-5036 or email to make an appointment.

Students must present a valid student ID number to meet with a counselor. Quick Stop Counseling sessions are limited to 5-10 minutes on a first-come, first-serve basis and can assist you with the following:

  • General information.
  • Initial Enrollment Assistance/Course Scheduling and Review of Assessment Results.
  • Prerequisite Checking (i.e., Substitutions/Challenges).
  • Clearing Probation/Dismissal Holds (i.e., Academic and Progress).
  • Filing Matriculation Waivers (i.e. Students who completed assessment at a non-Peralta college; students with prior coursework in English and Mathematics, students who have earned a higher education degree).

Dealing with Prerequisite Holds

You will need the following information for a counselor to clear prerequisite holds:

  • Student ID
  • Unofficial or Official Transcripts from Non-Peralta Colleges if the prerequisite was satisfied outside of Peralta.
  • Course description if taken at college outside of the Peralta District.
  • Please discuss with counselor the course challenge policy.

During registration, counselors are available on a drop in, first-come, first-served basis. Hours differ during drop-in periods. Appointments are necessary for developing student educational plans. There are limited counseling appointments available during the registration period. You will have to wait until mid-September or late January to schedule an appointment. Please call (510) 981-5036 to schedule an appointment with a counselor.

Due to the high volume of student needs the Counseling Office may need to close temporarily; it is recommended that you call (510) 981-5036 to ensure the office is open.  The counseling department receives a  considerable volume of phone calls to the Counseling Reception Desk, please be patient and you will receive a return call within 72 hours. For additional service you may e-mail the counseling office at

Counseling Appointments

  • Student Education Plan Development (Initial or Comprehensive – will require you to bring transcripts from non-Peralta colleges)
  • Filing Petitions for Degrees/Certificates
  • Career Counseling
  • Transfer/Concurrent Enrollment Counseling
  • Other issues that require additional time.

SEP AND OTHER APPOINTMENTS: In-depth transfer counseling, student education plans (SEP), transcript evaluation, personal counseling and other matters. Please call (510) 981-5036 to schedule an appointment with a counselor in early September 2016.

FILING A PETITION FOR AN AA/AS DEGREE OR CERTIFICATE: If you plan to file a petition for an AA/AS Degree or Certificate at Berkeley City College, please fill out the correct petition form and schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor before the due date for submitting the petition to the District.  If you have questions regarding BCC’s petition procedures, please call 510/981-5036 for information.

PACE (Program for Adult Education): Students in the PACE Program and those interested in enrolling in the program please call (510) 981-2864 for more information.

CAREER COUNSELING: Vocational/career testing and exploration; career planning assistance; information on jobs, companies & labor market trends; job seeking skills including resume writing and cover letter development. Please contact the counseling appointment desk to schedule an appointment with Ms. Hegler. To contact Ms. Hegler, email her at

PSSD (Programs and Services for Students with Disabilities) Formerly called DSPS
Services for students with verified disabilities.  For an appointment, please contact Lynn Massey at (510) 981-2812.

EOPS (Extended Opportunities Programs and Services): Serving economically and educationally disadvantaged students.  Program acceptance required. Please call (510) 981-2832 for more information.

CalWORKs: Serving students receiving cash assistance for families with dependent children. Call (510) 981-2847 for an appointment.

THE OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION: Serving international students that are registered with the Peralta District International Studies Program. For more information please contact the Main office:
333 East Eighth Street, Oakland, CA  94606     (510) 466-7380
Web Site: E-Mail:

VETERANS AFFAIRS: Veterans should initially see a counselor during drop-in hours to have any matriculation or pre-requisite holds cleared, then schedule an appointment to develop a student educational plan for the semester with the Veteran Affairs Counselor, Amy Herrera.  Our veteran’s services are not just limited to those veteran’s who receive education benefits.  Please feel free to stop by and see if we can help you.

For veteran’s certification, making an appointment with the VA Counselor, and other information pertaining to the program, please see Jennifer Lenahan, Student Services Specialist and Veteran’s Affairs Certifying Official, at the BCC Campus – 3rd Floor, or at (510) 981-5039, e-mail:




  • Counseling

    Saturday 24 June 2017


BCC Home