FAQS / Pass/NoPass Grading Option

In designated courses you may elect to take the course for Pass/No Pass rather than receive a letter grade.  You must make this decision prior to the 4th week of instruction (30% of instruction for summer session and short-term classes) and you personally must enter this information into the online enrollment system.  Upon successful completion of the course, you earn the specified number of units, and the record will show P (which indicates a C grade or better).  If your work is unsatisfactory, the record will show NP (which indicates a D grade or below).  All units of P will satisfy community college curriculum requirements but will not count in the computation of GPA. 

All courses listed in the Announcement of Courses section of the catalog fall into one of three categories:

  1. Courses that you may take either for a letter grade or Pass/No Pass;
  2. Courses that you may take for Pass/No Pass only (P/NP); and
  3. Courses that you may take for a letter grade only.

You may not repeat a course in which your earned a grade of “P”.  Once designated, a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) may not be changed to a letter grade.  If you are planning to transfer to a four-year institution, be aware that (1) institutions may not count a course toward your major in which you earned a grade of “P” and (2) institutions may limit the number of units for which you earned a “P” that they count toward a Bachelor’s degree.  You should consult the catalog of the transfer institution for more specific information on this subject.

Posted in: Glossary