A.A. (Associate in Arts) or A.S. (Associate in Science) Degree

Degree granted by community colleges upon completion of required course work. 

Academic Year

Includes two 18-week semesters; Fall (Aug – Dec) and Spring (Jan – May).

Add (a class)

Add a class to his/her schedule after the term has begun.

Articulation Agreement

Agreements between community and four-year colleges which indicate the acceptability of courses in transfer toward meeting specific degree requirements.


The process of gathering information to assist students in selecting appropriate courses and developing a program of study.  Assessment tests are provided in English, English as a Second Language, and Mathematics to assist in evaluating a student’s current skill level.

Bachelor Degree

A level of education marked by the completion of the equivalent of four or more years of full-time education.  The degree is offered by the California State Universities, the University of California system, and many private colleges and universities.

Certificate of Achievement

Certificate issued to a student by the college upon completion of required courses in a specific occupational program.

Class Schedule

Published prior to each term, it includes registration and enrollment procedures and dates, general information, and the list of classes to be offered during that term.

Class Schedule

College Catalog

College publication describing academic programs, student services, general regulations, requirements and procedures.  All classes offered by the college are described, including information about unit value, transferability and prerequisites.

Concurrent Enrollment

Enrollment in two or more colleges during the same semester.


A condition of enrollment that a student is required to meet before or in conjunction with enrollment in a course.

Course Number

A number, which designates a particular course offered by the college.  Transfer and Associate Degree courses are numbered 1-199; Associate Degree applicable but not transferable courses are numbered 200-249; non-Associate Degree courses are numbered 250-299, 348; Credit Apprenticeship and Cooperative Education Work Experience Education courses are numbered 400-699.

Note:  Apprenticeship courses are nondegree applicable and nontransferable, while Cooperative Education courses are degree applicable and transferable.

Pass/NoPass Grading Option

In designated courses you may elect to take the course for Pass/No Pass rather than receive a letter grade.  You must make this decision prior to the 4th week of instruction (30% of instruction for summer session and short-term classes) and you personally must enter this information into the online enrollment system.  Upon successful completion of the course, you earn the specified number of units, and the record will show P (which indicates a C grade or better).  If your work is unsatisfactory, the record will show NP (which indicates a D grade or below).  All units of P will satisfy community college curriculum requirements but will not count in the computation of GPA. 

All courses listed in the Announcement of Courses section of the catalog fall into one of three categories:

  1. Courses that you may take either for a letter grade or Pass/No Pass;
  2. Courses that you may take for Pass/No Pass only (P/NP); and
  3. Courses that you may take for a letter grade only.

You may not repeat a course in which your earned a grade of “P”.  Once designated, a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) may not be changed to a letter grade.  If you are planning to transfer to a four-year institution, be aware that (1) institutions may not count a course toward your major in which you earned a grade of “P” and (2) institutions may limit the number of units for which you earned a “P” that they count toward a Bachelor’s degree.  You should consult the catalog of the transfer institution for more specific information on this subject.


A student who is on Academic or Progress Probation in each of three consecutive semesters is subject to dismissal.

Drop (a class)

A student has enrolled in a class and then decides not to continue.


Courses that are not required but can be used to complete the unit requirements for a degree or program.


A student who has completed 29 or fewer semester units in college.

Full-time Student

A student enrolled in 12 or more units during the Fall or Spring Semester, or 6 units in the Summer Session.

G.E. or General Education Requirements

A specific group of course requirements, usually outside of, and in addition to the student’s major, that must be met in order to obtain an associate or bachelor’s degree.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

A measure of your achievement, determined by dividing your total grade points by the total number of units attempted.

Incomplete Grade (I)

Grade that an instructor may give a student who has not completed all the course work by the end of the term due to extenuating circumstances.  The student has one year in which to make up the work and receive a final grade.


A student who has completed 60 – 89 semester units in college.

Lower Division

Courses offered during the first two years (freshman and sophomore) of a college.  Community colleges offer lower-division courses that can be transferred to a baccalaureate degree college.


A field of study chosen as the focus of a student’s educational program.


Approximately 18 credits in an area outside a student’s major department.


A body of knowledge or set of skills necessary for success in a course.   A condition of enrollment that a student is required to meet before enrolment in a course.


A warning sign to the student that the academic standard of the college is not being met.  Must see a counselor prior to enrolling in the next term.

Recommended Preparation

A condition of enrollment that a student is advised, but not required, to meet before enrollment in a course or educational program.

Section Number

Number used to identify one or more sections offered of the same course.


Student who has completed 90 to 120 semester units in college.


A student who has completed 30 to 59 semester units in college.

Student Education Plan (SEP)

A plan developed by the student and counselor to assist the student to attain his/her educational goal.


A permanent record of a student’s college course work.  It will show all courses in which a student enrolled, the grades received, the GPA, and the number of units earned.

Transfer Courses

Courses that have been designated as acceptable by baccalaureate degree institutions and that those colleges will accept toward a bachelor’s degree.


A fee that is paid for instruction in a school, college, or university.


A value that indicates the amount of credit given to a class.  It reflects the amount of time required for class attendance.  One unit is equal to one hour of lecture or three hours of lab each week during a college term.

Upper Division

Courses offered for junior/senior class level and are not offered at the college.

Variable Units

Course for which a range of units can be earned depending on the course work completed, or the number of lab hours or amount of classroom time required to complete this course.

Withdrawal (“W”)

Notation on a student’s transcript that indicates withdrawal from a course between the end of the fourth and the fourteenth week of instruction.