Student Concerns & Complaint Process

Berkeley City College is committed to an educational environment that is free from interference and disruption, and that fosters equity and mutual respect. Most concerns, complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus/district level.


The following administrative processes are available to individuals who believe that they have concerns, or been treated unfairly that their rights have been violated:


  1. Peralta District Discrimination and Harrassment Policy (BCC 2013-2015 Catalog, p.282, Prohibition of Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Assault Procedures)
  2. AP 4231 – Grade Changes and Student Grievance Procedure (BCC 2013-2015 Catalog, p. 294)
  3. AP 5500 – Student Standards of Conduct, Discipline Procedures and Due Process (p. 301) (BCC 2013-2015 Catalog, p. 301)
  4. AP 5530 – Student Rights and Grievance Procedure (BCC 2013-2015 Catalog, p. 309)
  5. AP 5140 – Disabled Students Programs and Services (BCC 2013-2015 Catalog, p. 315)


Individuals are strongly encouraged to make every attempt to resolve matters through the appropriate administrative processes described in 1 through 5 above.


To initiate concerns and/or complaints, please contact the BCC Ombudsperson who will assist you in following through the process and procedures to resolve the issue:

Brenda Johnson
Dean of Student Support Services
Room 352, 3rd Floor
(510) 981-2830
Alejandria Tomas
Interim Director of Student Activities & Campus Life
Room 151A, first floor
(510) 981-2877


If a complaint does not fall into one of the categories above, the complaint should be addressed in writing to the President at the following address:

Rowena Tomaneng
2050 Center Street
Berkeley, CA 94704


Matters that are not resolved internally may be processed by using the following agencies in the order described below.


If your complaint does not concern the California Community College’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards, you may contact the California Community College Chancellor’s Office (CCCO) by completing this CCCO web form.


Contact the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) if your complaint is associated with the institution’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards. ACCJC is the agency that accredits the academic programs of the California Community Colleges.