We are glad that you are interested in finding out more about our practicum program at the Peralta Community College District (“PCCD”).
We are a community of colleges that empower and inspire our students to rise to their full potential. We equip our diverse student population with the necessary tools, resources, and experiences to meet and exceed their goals.
The objective of the PCCD Mental Health Training Institute is to provide pre and post-graduate mental health counseling students with individualized supervision and prepare them to become proficient in clinical counseling, assessments, diagnosis, treatment planning, group therapy, and crisis management.
We are a program designed to encourage demographically underrepresented groups to enter the profession and to improve recruitment and retention in underserved populations.
Supervision is available in the disciplines of Marriage and Family Therapy, Social Work, and Licensed Clinical Professional Counseling.
The position focuses on providing direct clinical and outreach services to currently enrolled PCCD students.
A therapist-in-training will develop and refine skills in:
- Establishing strong relationships with clients
- Suicide and crisis management
- Conceptualizing clients and their concerns
- Developing and applying a theoretically-based plan for treatment with a client
- Using self-awareness as a therapeutic tool
- Making appropriate referrals for clients who need more than brief therapy sessions
- Serving diverse populations who have varying degrees of mental health challenges
- A variety of service modalities
Peralta Community College will provide:
- Weekly one-on-one supervision
- Weekly group supervision
- Professional Development Workshops
If you would like to apply, please complete the online application by 1/31/22. Click this link.
Please upload PDF copies of your cover letter, resume, and references.
What to expect – Invitations to interview will be sent out during the 1st week of February. Candidates will be notified of placements in March.
*Stipends offered are dependent on current funding
If you have any questions please feel free to email: PCCD-MHInstitute@peralta.edu