Area: Service Learning
Matt FreemanStephanie Sanders-Badt
Juana Alicia Montoya
How does this project help you feel a sense of empowerment and what activist skills did you acquire that you can apply beyond this semester?
Student response on student empowerment:
- Increased student awareness of their capacity to work towards positive social change;
- Increased ability to take knowledge and skills learned in the classroom into the world;
- Increased overall self-confidence and awareness, especially around personal, community, or social issues.
Activist and organizing skills acquired during projects:
- Improved work with others (classmates, community members, etc.);
- Practiced planning and implementing projects;
- Understood the difficulty of gathering resources;
- Synthesized ideas as a part of planning project.
- Instructors would like to build a more diverse and inter-disciplinary team of faculty who use service learning into their classes;
- Acquire faculty release time for future development;
- Host a staff development flex day in spring 2011.
Filed under: Final Reports