How can we better prepare our ESL students for English 1A?
- More academic vocabulary.
- Readings – increase speed and access to American cultural background.
- More models of what constitutes an A, B, C, D, F papers.
- Focus on the Academic Word List in every ESL class;
- Create a summer ESL reading list to encourage extensive reading;
- Do Read-A-Thon related activities both in class and in workshops to encourage extensive writing;
- Have a reading course that focuses more on American culture and themes.