Partnership for International Education (PIE)
A partnership between the four colleges of the Peralta Community College District ((Berkeley City College – BCC, College of Alameda, Laney College, and Merritt College) and four National Resource Centers at the University of California, Berkeley (Institute of European Studies (IES), Center for Middle Eastern Studies (CMES), Institute of East Asian Studies (IEAS), Institute of Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies (ISEEES), Institute for South Asia Studies (ISAS), Center for Southeast Asia Studies (CSEAS), Center for African Studies (CAS), Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) has been established with funding from a Title VI grant from the Federal Department of Education.
The PIE initiative aims to build a sustained collaborative relationship between UCB’s participating National Resource Centers, and the Peralta Colleges. PIE is being developed in three stages over four years in order to collaborate in the establishment of an effective pathway to prepare Community College students for international career opportunities and facilitate collaboration between Peralta instructors and the National Resource Centers at UCB. The Partnership will establish and be managed by the Office of Global Awareness at Berkeley City College. This office will infuse an international component across departments and will also house other programs sponsored by the participating Centers, such as the Brussels Study Tour for Students and Educators organized by the University of Pittsburgh, ORIAS Summer Institutes and the annual Claremont-UC Undergraduate Research Conference on the European Union. Informational and funding support will be made available to Peralta faculty and students interested in participating in a variety of programs managed by PIE and other participating programs.
The PIE is led by Deolinda Adao, director of IES’ Center for Portuguese Studies and lecturer in the Modern Languages Department at Berkeley City College.
For spring 2016 the following Funding and Training opportunities are available to Peralta Faculty and Staff:
- Peralta Faculty to attend conferences or events held at UCB organized by one of the partner centers. (Grants in the amount of $300.00 each available for events sponsored by IES);
- Peralta Faculty to present a lecture at UCB at one of the partner centers. (Grants in the amount of $500.00 each);
- Peralta Faculty to participate in the Brussels Study Tour 2016 (June 19—June 25, 2016).
- Peralta Faculty to participate in the ORIAS Summer Institute
- Peralta Students to participate in Claremont-UC Undergraduate Research Conference on the European Union.
- Peralta Students to participate in the Brussels Study Tour 2016 (June 19—June 25, 2016).
Please consult the events calendar of each of the National Resource Centers at UCB for schedule of lectures and conferences: