Banner Image: Scenes from around campus

In-State Travel

How to Apply for In-State Activities including Travel


The Professional Development Committee can fund a maximum of $600 for in-state travel.


To apply for travel within California anytime ON OR AFTER this date: If all 3 completed —
1) Travel Request Form
2) Documentation
3) Common Application
by this date:
Requests will be considered at this PD Meeting:
Wednesday October 25, 2017 Wednesday September 6, 2017 Wednesday September 13, 2017
Wednesday November 22, 2017 Wednesday October 4, 2017 Wednesday October 11, 2017
Wednesday December 20, 2017 Wednesday November 1, 2017 Wednesday November 8, 2017
Wednesday January 24, 2018 Wednesday December 6, 2017 Wednesday December 13, 2017
Wednesday March 7, 2018 Monday February 12, 2018 Wednesday February 14, 2018
Wednesday April 4, 2018 Monday March 12, 2018 Wednesday March 14, 2018
Wednesday, May 2, 2018 Monday April 9, 2018 Wednesday April 11, 2018
Wednesday May 30, 2018 Monday May 7, 2018 Wednesday May 9, 2018


The Process:

There are 3 parts to the travel claim/request process through the PD Committee.

  1. Fill out the Common Application for Professional Development Funds. This will be sent to the PD Committee for a vote.
  2. Fill out the Travel Request form, with associated documentation. This must be approved by the Chancellor a minimum of a month before you travel. If you are going out of state, your request must be additionally approved before an open Board of Trustees meeting, and put on the agenda well before the monthly meeting. Please work with Joanna to complete the Part 1: Request and your collection of supporting documents before you even do the Common Application.
  3. Fill out the district’s vendor application form if you have never filled one out before.
  4. After your travel is complete, fill out the Travel Claim form, with associated receipts in order to be reimbursed.

Click here to see the Flow Chart of Travel Requisition Processing for a visual overview.


Detailed Steps:

  1. Complete the Common Application for Professional Development Funds. The PD Committee will review requests received on time at each meeting. You are more than welcome to come in person to the meeting to answer any questions that come up, but this is not required. The Professional Development Chair will email you within two days after the meeting to let you know whether you were approved, and if so, for how much.
  2. Please click this link to open the Travel Request and Claim excel form: The actual forms are 2 tabs of an Excel document that you can’t complete by yourself unless you have access to the budget codes. Each of the parts must be completed electronically, sent to Joanna, printed out, and then sent through several signatures, on paper, to the district and back, in a packet with all the documents, in order to be approved:
    Form 7400- Travel Request rev. 2016 (revised January 2016) Complete it to the best of your abilities. Save it with your name in the file, and send it to Joanna Louie,, who can advise you on any points of confusion. Before traveling, open this link to read instructions for receipts and travel claim. 
  3. Download and fill out the district’s vendor application form if you have never filled one out before. You only need to fill out pages 2 and 11. Email it to Joanna Louie.
  4. Print out copies of the following with relevant dates/amounts highlighted, and bring to Joanna in person in the 1st floor business office, or leave in her mailbox:
    • conference agenda
    • registration and/or membership fee information
    • hotel cost information (OK if you didn’t pay for it yet)
    • if driving, google map showing mileage, from closest of your home or BCC, to the conference location
    • if flying, printout of flight reservation with costs (OK if you didn’t pay for it yet)
    • if renting a car, the reservation page with amounts
    • if BARTing, the 511 trip planner printout
    • if shuttling/taxiing, printout of estimate:
    • if parking, printout of rates
    • documentation of any other estimated costs

    Note to anyone who is asking for partial reimbursement for certain costs or up to a certain amount- please submit all these things even if you are not asking the district to pay for all of them – e.g. if they are only paying for registration and  lodging, you still need to show the flight, etc.

    Note to anyone going out of state: you might want to put a non-personal phone # and email on the request form, because a PDF of it will be posted publicly on the Internet when it goes to the board of trustees meeting for approval.

    Joanna Louie will correct your travel request form if necessary, add the appropriate budget codes, print it, have you sign it, check your other documents, and bring it to the Professional Development meeting.

  5. The Travel Claim form, with associated receipts, is completed after you return, and sent through several signatures. It must be submitted with original receipts within 2 weeks of your return.


  • Professional Development

    Thursday 16 August 2018


BCC Home