Charge of the Committee
The Berkeley City College Professional Development Committee supports faculty, staff, administrators, and student leaders in activities that build our capacity to contribute to BCC’s vision:
Berkeley City College is a premier, diverse, student-centered learning community, dedicated to academic excellence, collaboration, innovation, and transformation.
- Work with Unions, other shared governance bodies, and Special Projects to create and foster a broad array of Professional Development activities.
- Establish priorities and procedures and approve funding requests for Professional Development activities. Depending on funds available and requests received, professional development funds may be awarded for the following:
- collaborative projects including TLC activities
- tuition reimbursement, in-house training, and webinars
- books, materials, supplies, and software
- memberships and subscriptions
- conference registration, travel, hotel accommodations, meals, and other related expenses
- other expenses that directly contribute to professional development.
- Oversee the sabbatical leave process (see Article 26, Paragraph R and the Sabbatical Leave Handbook for description of guidelines, procedures, applicants, etc.); and review, score and rank all applicants. The committee shall make its recommendations to the College President and the Chancellor.
- Plan the Flex Day activities
- Oversee and advise the activities and use of the Teaching and Learning Center
- Issue twice yearly report to the College Community and the District Officer of Staff Development: on expenditures, funding priorities, procedures, deadlines, activities, schedule of meetings, attainment of goals, needs assessments, etc.
- Professional Development Committee decisions and recommendations shall not be subject to the grievance process.