Lead Faculty: Linda McAllister, Ph.D.
Rm 557, BCC Sociology Dept., 2050 Center St Berkeley, CA 94704
Email: email@example.com (510) 981-2998
Welcome to the BCC Sociology Website. Our mission is to provide sociology students with the theory and methods required to transfer and succeed at a four year university or college, or to begin working in a sociology-related job.
What is “sociology”?: “Sociology” is the study of social life, social change, and the social causes and consequences of human behavior using the methods of social science. Sociologists investigate the structure of groups, organizations, and societies, and how people interact within these contexts. The subject ranges from the family, to organized crime, to newly emerging religions; and from the divisions of race, gender and social class to the shared beliefs of a common culture; and from the sociology of work to the sociology of the environment.
What can I do with a sociology degree? The BCC sociology program provides marketable social science job skills, and prepares sociology majors to transfer to universities and 4-year colleges. Students get marketable social science skills by:
- learning how to conduct ethnographic interview research on individuals and small groups;
- doing service-learning projects;
- learning how to write social science reports; and
- learning how to conduct and analyze research.
-These skills are important in marketing, social work, business, criminology, government, and various non-profit organizations that help people facing social problems.
-Sociology majors can also get guaranteed admission into Cal State by earning our AA-T in Sociology. See: BCC Sociology_AA-T_Degree
Important AA-T Updates:
1) Comparative Social Movements since the 1960s (Soc 6) now satisfies the List C requirement for the BCC Sociology AA-T. See the Laney Tower Article on Soc 6 .
2) Sociology of Death & Dying (Soc 18) now satisfies the List C requirement for the BCC Sociology AA-T.
3) Sociology of Minority Groups (Soc 5) now receives American Cultures credit at UC-Berkeley.
4) Sociology of Gender (Soc 7) now satisfies a List B requirement for the BCC Sociology AA-T.
-Sociology is one of the disciplines in the Social Sciences Department.