Banner Image: Scenes from around campus

Admissions & Records FAQs

Click on a question below to view the answer. Click on it again to collapse it.


Admissions & Records Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Am I allowed to repeat a class in which I received a D or F grade?

Yes, students are allowed to repeat a course in which a D or F grade was received. Upon successful repetition of a D or F graded course, the student may petition that the original grade, units, and grade points not be computed in the cumulative GPA. The Authorized Repeat Petition forms are available online by clicking the following link:



How do I obtain a transcript?

You may request official transcripts by Internet, mail, or in person at any of the four college admissions offices. The quickest and most convenient way to request a transcript is online over the Internet. Your transcript will include all coursework completed at College of Alameda, Laney College, Merritt College, and/or Berkeley City College.

Students are expected to clear all financial obligations and other transcript “holds” before transcripts are mailed. A transcript request should be made well in advance of the time when the record will be needed. Same day service is only available at the District Admissions Office, 333 East 8th Street, Oakland.

Transcript Ordering Options:

Please visit the Peralta Transcript Information site to learn the ordering options and the fees:

Please Note: Grades are posted to transcripts approximately 2-3 weeks after each semester.



What is a Pass/No Pass course? Should I take a course P/NP or for a grade? How do I take a class P/NP?

In designated courses you may elect to take the course for Pass/No Pass rather than receive a letter grade. You must make this decision prior to the 4th week of instruction (30% of instruction for summer session and short-term classes) and you personally must enter this information into the online enrollment system. Upon successful completion of the course, you earn the specified number of units, and the record will show P (which indicates a C grade or better). If your work is unsatisfactory, the record will show NP (which indicates a D grade or below). All units of P will satisfy community college curriculum requirements but will not count in the computation of GPA.

You may not repeat a course in which you earned a grade of “P”. Once designated, a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) may not be changed to a letter grade. If you are planning to transfer to a four year institution, be aware that institutions may not count a course toward your major in which you earned a grade of “P” and institutions may limit the number of units for which you earned a “P” that they count toward a Bachelor’s degree. You should consult the catalog of the transfer institution for more specific information on this subject.



How do I drop a class?

Students may drop classes online using the Passport Student Administration System up until the last day to drop (refer to the current Academic Calendar). You may also drop a class in person by obtaining a Drop Card at the Admissions and Records Office, or you may download the drop card from the following web page:  Students must then deliver the Drop Card to Admissions and Records for processing.

Note: Non-attendance does not mean that you have dropped a class. It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw from a class.



How many units do I have to take to be considered a full-time or part-time student?

For the Fall and Spring semesters, a full-time study load is 12 units. For summer session, a maximum unit load is set for 10 units. A student may not carry more than 18 units during the Fall and Spring semesters without special permission. Student who wish to take 19 to 21 units may see a counselor to apply for excess units. Students who wish to enroll in 21 to 25 units must obtain permission from the Vice President of Student Services. Such permission ordinarily is not given to any student who has not maintained a grade-point average of 3.0 the previous semester.



What do I do if a course is closed?

During registration, if you try to register for a class that is full, “CLOSED – Wait Listed” you will be given the option to sign up on the Wait List for that class until the Wait List fills. Remember, being on a Wait List does not guarantee you a seat in a class. If seats become available, those on the Wait List will be registered for open seats in the order they are on the list.

Important: Passport will allow you to get on a Wait List, however, when the nightly process runs to check for any problems, you will be removed from a wait list if: you have any holds, time conflicts, repeat or prerequisite errors, duplicate courses, excessive units, or any type of registration error.

Can anybody get on a Wait List?

When there are Wait List openings, anyone can get on a Wait List. However, you are eligible to remain on that Wait List only if: you meet the class prerequisites, the class time does not conflict with another class in which you are already registered, you have no repeat errors, you have no holds on your record, or the class units will not exceed your maximum allowed.

Be aware: If you put yourself on a wait list and any of these errors occur when the nightly process moves students into classes from the wait list, you will be dropped from the wait list. Also, you cannot be on a wait list for another section of the same course.

Who gets into a class?

If class seats become available, students will automatically be enrolled in the class in the order in which they entered the Wait List.

How do I know if I got into a class?

If you are moved into a class from the Wait List, you will be notified by email to your Peralta email account. It is important that you activate and monitor your Peralta emails during the registration period. If you are registered in a class from the Wait List, it will be your responsibility to pay all fees 2 weeks before the beginning of the term. Students who are added after this deadline are required to pay their fees immediately or a hold WILL be placed on your account and your debt will be sent to collections.

When do I pay for the class?

Fees will be assessed after a student is officially registered in a class and must be paid 2 weeks before the beginning of the term. Students who are added after this deadline  are required to pay their fees immediately or  a hold WILL be placed on your account and your debt will be sent to collections. A student on a Wait List must monitor his/her email during the registration period if and when they are moved into a class.

It is important to remember that placement on a Wait List does not guarantee a seat in the class. Students on a Wait List after classes begin should attend the first class meeting to be able to enroll if space is available.



BCC Admissions & Records Contact:

Loretta Newsom
Room 152, 1st Floor
Phone: (510) 981-2805
Fax:  (510) 981-2989
Email address:

  • Menu Links

    Monday 5 December 2016


BCC Home