Welcome Fall 2016 Instructors!
Dear Fall 2016 Moodle Course Instructors,
This letter is for instructors who are using the District’s Moodle website (http://eperalta.org/fall2016). The District has created a shell for each course you are teaching, and you have been added as Teacher into it. You do not need to request a Moodle course.
Also, new for this semester, there is a Faculty Moodle Resources site on the Fall 2016 Moodle
The District will also upload enrolled students into the courses approximately two weeks before the start of the semester, but students will not be able to access your course until you have opened it to them. Please see “How To Open Your Course To Students” below on how to do this.
Checklist to Get Ready for the Semester:
- Migrate your courses – either migrate your own courses or have us do it for you.
- Login to the Fall 2016 Moodle Online Course Site – you will be prompted to change your password.
- Find your course shells – by default, all shells are closed to students.
- Check your Participants list – one to two weeks before the semester.
- Send Welcome email to students – for online-only courses.
- Open your course to your students.
BCC instructors needing help with Moodle or the BCC campus website (WordPress) should contact email@example.com or come to Room 459 for assistance (M-Th, 9:30 – 1:30) or check out our Distance Education website at http://www.berkeleycitycollege.edu/wp/de/. Instructors may also contact the District Moodle Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org for help on Moodle.
Students needing help with Moodle login should contact the District Moodle HelpDesk at email@example.com or see Theresa in Room 459 during her office hours (Mon. – Thurs., 9:30 am – 1:30 pm). To login, students use their PASSPORT User ID, but their Moodle password is their birthdate in yyyymmdd format (all numbers).
You may migrate your own courses or have us migrate them for you:
- Migrate your own courses – see directions in Migrating your Moodle course Summer 2016
- Have us migrate your courses – fill out the online form “Moodle Course Migration Form” to request a previous course to be duplicated into your Summer 2016 Moodle course. You will need to login. If you have never logged in at BCC Resources, please use your PROMT username (without the email part @peralta.edu) and your Employee ID# as the password. For login assistance, please contact Theresa Rumjahn at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The District’s Fall 2016 Moodle is now open to faculty at http://eperalta.org/fall2016. To login, use your username and password from last semester, and you will be prompted for a new password. If you have note used a previous Moodle, the default faculty login information is:
Username: this is your PROMT User ID
Password: this is your 8-digit Employee ID# – these are all numbers
If you have trouble logging in, please contact Theresa Rumjahn at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your password reset.
After logging in, the links to your courses will display on your Dashboard. To edit your Moodle profile or change your password, click on your name in the upper right corner or bottom of the page.
The District will upload student data 1-2 weeks before the semester begins. Please check your Participants list to make sure students are being uploaded into your course. Your students will not be able to enter your course site until you open the course to them. Contact Theresa Rumjahn at email@example.com or the District Moodle Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org if students are not appearing in your Participants list.
You can send the Welcome Email from your PROMT Roster page or from your Moodle course as a post from the “News Forum”. Additionally, from the Participants list, you can show all participants, select all (this checks the box in front of each name), and then select “Send an email message” from the drop-down menu. Enter your message in the text editor and then submit it.
We often receive inquiries from students about when their online class will begin. We inform them that they should receive a welcome email message sent via student email from their online instructors before the semester begins. We tell them to check their student email often (http://web.peralta.edu/it/studentemail/) or set it to redirect to another address. Lastly, we inform the students to check the BCC Distance Education website for instructor contact information and also where the BCC Bookstore site is located.
There is a simple setting:
- On your course homepage, click on Course administration > Edit settings.
- At the top of the page, change the Visible setting from Hide to Show, and save. Click on the image below to enlarge it:
Moodle Resources for Faculty:
- Moodle Tutorials for BCC Faculty
- MOOC Site on Learning Moodle for Teachers
- Open Textbook Resources
- Archived Moodles
- Peralta District Distance Education Website
If you have questions about the above, please contact Theresa Rumjahn at email@example.com
Have a great semester!