- CIPD 2013-14 Schedule
- Peralta District Curriculum Approval Process (from conception to implementation)
- Course and Program Justification Criteria 2014
Curriculum Manual and Checklists (District Approved 2013)
- Glossary of Acronyms in the Curriculum World 2013
Certification Training for Local Approval of Credit Stand-Alone Courses
California Education Code (CEC) and title 5 Regulations, adopted in August 2007, permit community college districts to approve, without prior approval by the Chancellor of the California Community Colleges, nondegree-applicable credit courses and degree-applicable credit courses which are not part of an approved educational program (commonly known as “stand-alone” courses).
At least one person from each college, preferably the curriculum committee chair, must complete the training and then train the curriculum committee and staff who are involved in the curriculum approval process. Training materials are provided here for this purpose. When training is completed on the campus, the certification form must be submitted by September 30 of that year. This deadline is mandated by title 5, section 55100, and cannot be extended.
Training for local approval of credit stand-alone courses addresses required curriculum development and approval processes for all new courses. Colleges, however, should be aware that program approval will continue to be conducted through the Chancellor’s Office. When new programs are submitted for approval, colleges need to attach all course outlines for required courses, which are reviewed during the program approval process.
NOTE: If you haven’t completed this training before, please read all of the following documents (except the Certification Form) before our next Curriculum Committee Meeting on Thursday, September 19, 2013.
- 2013-14 Local Approval of Credit Stand-Alone Courses Memo [pdf]
- 2013-14 Local Approval of Credit Stand-Alone Courses Certification Form [Word]
- 2013 Local Approval of Credit Stand-Alone Training [pdf]
- Handout 1A, Assembly Bill 1029 [pdf]
- Handout 1B, California Code of Regulations, title 5, section 55002 [pdf]
- Handout 1C, California Education Code, Division 7, Part 43, Section 70900-70902 [pdf]
- Handout 1D, California Code of Regulations, title 5, section 55100 [pdf]
- Handout 2, Frequently Asked Questions [pdf]
- Handout 3, Examples of Denied Courses [pdf]
- 2013 Local Approval of Credit Stand-Alone Training Speakers Notes (official script for training purposes) [pdf]