Maria Cetto Speaks on “My Language, My Voice: Linguistic Identity and Cultural Hegemony in the U.S.” – Thurs., April 20 @ College Hour, Atrium

4 April 2017

Maria Cetto flyerGuest speaker Maria Cetto will present “My Language, My Voice; Linguistic Identity and Cultural Hegemony in the U.S” on Thursday, April 20, 2017, from 12:15 – 1:15 PM in the BCC Atrium.

The presentation focuses on raising conscience to what linguistic identity is and how the lack of it has lead us to unconsciously consent a hegemony.

Maria Cetto is Professor of Spanish Language and Linguistics and teaches at Mendocino College.

The event is hosted by the Undocumented Community Resource Center and it’s sponsored by the Jerry L. Adams Endowment Fund – Social Justice Series. The event aims to educate the student community on what Linguistic identity is and the impact of cultural hegemony in the U.S.

The event is open to the public. Berkeley City College is located at 2050 Center Street, downtown Berkeley, a half-block from the Downtown Berkeley BART Station.

Visit the BCC Undocumented Community Resource Center for information about who we are, what we do, and the resources available to the student community.

Filed under: General