Banner Image: Scenes from around campus

BCC’s Marilia Lobo Wins First Place in the Inspire Berkeley 2013 Contest held by the Oakland Digital Arts & Literacy Center

14 May 2013

Lobo Inspire Oakland BillboardBerkeley City College multimedia arts student Marilia Lobo’s digital arts design is a winner in Inspire Oakland, a collaborative billboard design contest sponsored by Oakland Digital (ODALC). The contest is co-sponsored by the City of Oakland, CBS Outdoor, Améredia, Oaklandish, Cal State East Bay and the Peralta Colleges. Lobos, a student in Michel Bohbot’s Survey of Digital Imaging (MMART 130) class, will see her design appear on University Ave. in Berkeley.
”For my billboard art I tried to embrace all the elements that represent Berkeley to me; the bear is the California symbol, and also it’s the UC Berkeley mascot, he is with a megaphone because UC Berkeley was the stage where very important movements such as women rights and free speech took place in the 60’s. The background’s boldness is to represent the present and retro kind of look for the past. It is colorful, because I have never seen a place that holds so much diversity in a positive way as Berkeley has. Berkeley is a colorful, creative and engaged melting pot; people who live there tend to make the difference in the society. I’m studying animation (at Berkeley City College), but I graduated in Industrial Design, Visual Programming in Brazil, and I would be sooooo happy to get an internship with ODALC!”

Each year, Oakland Digital invites local community members to participate in “Inspire Oakland,” a contest which encourages interest in graphic design and information technologies through creative expression. Project’s goal is to promote a positive image of Oakland that unites and inspires its diverse population, while encouraging young talent to jumpstart their digital media careers.
Read more about the Inspire Berkeley 2013 contest at: www.odalc.org/programs/inspire/inspire-berkeley. Learn more about Inspire Oakland at:  www.inspireoakland.com

zv7qrnb

Filed under: Academics, General

Footer Links