Banner Image: Scenes from around campus

BCC’s Kaylin Warren Wins Second Place in the Inspire Berkeley 2013 Contest Sponsored by the ODLAC

14 May 2013

Kaylin Warren Inspire Berkeley 2013 ArtworkKaylin Warren, also a BCC Multimedia Arts student, won second place in Inspire Berkeley 2013, a collaborative billboard design contest sponsored by Oakland Digital (ODALC). The contest is co-sponsored by the City of Oakland, CBS Outdoor, Améredia, Oaklandish, Cal State East Bay and the Peralta Colleges.

Warren’s billboard inspiration was the downtown Berkeley BART station. “I remember when I first started going to Berkeley City College, that first time I came up that escalator and stood in that circle, I did a full 360 turn just so I could soak everything in,” she recalled. “You know that any time you come to Berkeley there’s going to be an adventure because of the many possibilities and things that it has to offer.” The artist used cool tones and colors to represent Berkeley’s “chilled, laid back” atmosphere. She also thought that the BART station represented Berkeley residents’ affinity for using public transportation.

Kaylin Warren“I used layered textures to give it a mystical, magical feel because e Berkeley is like my own Diagon Alley (Harry Potter); it has so many hidden treasures and hideaways you never know what you’re going to find,” Warren explained. “It’s hard to put in words but Berkeley is something that you have to experience yourself because that’s just what it is, an experience. Just don’t forget to wear your walking shoes… ”

Each year, Oakland Digital invites local community members to participate in “Inspire Oakland,” and “Inspire Berkeley,” contests which encourages interest in graphic design and information technologies through creative expression. Project’s goal is to promote a positive image of Oakland that unites and inspires its diverse population, while encouraging young talent to jumpstart their digital media careers.

Learn more about Inspire Berkeley 2013 Context at:  www.odalc.org/programs/inspire/inspire-berkeley. The Inspire Oakland website is at: www.inspireoakland.com/.

zv7qrnb

Filed under: Academics, General. Tagged: ,

Footer Links