Berkeley City College – Fall Professional Development (FLEX) Days
THURSDAY, August 16, 2012
Continental Breakfast begins at 8:30 am
ALL COLLEGE MEETING: 9:00 am-12 noon / Rooms 421, 422, 423 & 424
(LUNCH PROVIDED AT 12 noon)
DEPARTMENT MEETINGS 12:00-2:00 pm
- Art & Cultural Studies Room #31 and # 34 (Break out room)
- ASL Room #55
- Biotech & Science Room #518
- Business/Econ./Health & CIS Room #15
- English/ESL Room #32 & 33
- Math Room #14
- Modern Languages Room #54
- Multimedia Room #52
- Social Science Room #53
PROGRAM MEETINGS – 2:00-3:00 pm
- GLOBAL STUDIES Room #15
- HUSV Room #32
- PACE Room #34
- PERSIST Room #31
- SPANISH MEDICAL INTERPRETING Room #33
- 3:00-4:30 pm SEXUAL HARASSMENT TRAINING Room #431
FRIDAY August, 17, 2012 (click here to download full Friday schedule)
- 9:00 am-5:00 pm DEPARTMENT CHAIR RETREAT UC BERKELEY (FACULTY CLUB)
- Morning Session: Faculty chairs will present multiple pathways, entry and exit points, and re-entry points through departments and programs, illustrating some of the obstacles our students face when trying to complete certificates or degrees. Chairs and program coordinators will share with colleagues current and planned pedagogical approaches to enhancing student outcomes.
- Afternoon Session: Cleavon Smith, faculty senate president, will moderate a visioning/planning discussion. Bob Barr will assist by helping to frame the afternoon brainstorming and action-inquiry kickoff session by sharing a brief overview of campus innovations and possible resources to support our work BCC’s innovative initiatives.
- 9:30-10:30 am Dealing with Difficult Students: Prevention and Process
- Room #421
- Led by Student Services and Instructional faculty and staff, this workshop provides strategies on communicating expectations to students and discusses appropriate forums in which to do so. When communication fails, workshop leaders will discuss processes for resolving student-instructor conflicts in and outside the classroom.
- 10:30-11:30 am What Every Faculty Member Should Know: Passport, Census Roster, Verification Rosters, Grade Roster, Attendance/Grade books, Syllabus and More
- Room #421
- Beneficial to both new faculty and those who need a refresher, this workshop provides information on Passport Rosters: Census, Verification, Grade, Attendance/ Grade Books. It will also cover creating a comprehensive syllabus, and other topics to help you get off to a good start this term.
- 11:30 am-2:00 pm “Everything You Wanted to Know about BCC” Fair: Tables ATRIUM - will be set up in the Atrium for BCC Programs (PACE, First Year Experience, Global Studies, PERSIST, etc.) as well as tables for Counseling (Triage), Getting A Question Answered in 5 minutes, EOPS, TRIO, Financial Aid, Admission & Records, and More!
Filed under: General